Johnny Depp is a renowned actor known for his diverse roles in various films. One of the questions that often comes up is whether he was in the movie Platoon. Let’s explore the answer to this question and delve into some interesting facts about the film.
Johnny Depp’s Role in Platoon
In 1986, a young Johnny Depp appeared as Private Lerner in Oliver Stone’s harrowing Vietnam war drama, Platoon. However, his role in the film was significantly reduced during the editing process. Depp originally had a larger part as the translator Lerner, including two major dialogue scenes with Willem Dafoe. Unfortunately, much of the material he shot was cut from the finished film. Despite his limited screen time, Depp’s performance in Platoon helped launch his career in Hollywood.
Other Films with Actors in Small Roles
It is not uncommon for famous actors to have small roles in films, sometimes even receiving disproportionate billing. Examples include Gerard Depardieu in Kenneth Branagh’s ‘Hamlet’ and Sting in ‘The Adventures of Baron Munchausen’. In some cases, films are re-released after a bit-player becomes famous, leading to their mention in promotional materials. For instance, Sylvester Stallone’s walk-on role as a mugger in Woody Allen’s ‘Bananas’ is often highlighted on billboards.
Interesting Facts about Platoon
Platoon, directed by Oliver Stone, is a legendary Vietnam War film that offers a darker view of war. Here are some fascinating facts about the movie:
- Platoon was based on Oliver Stone’s own experiences as a soldier in the Vietnam War.
- The film features several cameos by Dale Dye, a Vietnam veteran and military adviser for war movies. Dye played four different roles in Platoon, including a speaking role as Capt. Harris.
- Oliver Stone originally wanted Jim Morrison, the lead singer of The Doors, to play the lead role of Chris Taylor. However, Morrison passed away before he could respond to Stone’s offer.
- Platoon won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1987 and earned Oliver Stone his first of two Academy Awards as a director.
30th Anniversary Celebration
Recently, the cast of Platoon gathered to celebrate the film’s 30th anniversary. The party took place at Johnny Depp’s house and included co-stars Kevin Dillon and Charlie Sheen. The reunion photo shared by Kevin Dillon showcased the bond between the actors who portrayed war buddies on screen.
While Johnny Depp’s role in Platoon was reduced during the editing process, his appearance in the film helped launch his career in Hollywood. Platoon remains a timeless war film that offers a harrowing portrayal of the Vietnam War. The movie’s success and critical acclaim contributed to the rise of many talented actors who were part of its cast.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Was Johnny Depp in Platoon?
Yes, Johnny Depp appeared in Platoon as Private Lerner. However, his role was significantly reduced during the editing process.
2. What other films have actors in small roles?
There are several examples of films where famous actors have small roles. Some notable instances include Gerard Depardieu in Kenneth Branagh’s ‘Hamlet’ and Sting in ‘The Adventures of Baron Munchausen’.
3. Who directed Platoon?
Platoon was directed by Oliver Stone, who drew inspiration from his own experiences as a soldier in the Vietnam War.
4. Did Platoon win any awards?
Yes, Platoon won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1987 and earned Oliver Stone his first of two Academy Awards as a director.
5. When was Platoon released?
Platoon was released in 1986.